|The 8 petalled paris japonica|
Wellness, or our sense of well-being, is all about how we feel about life and how we function. It involves many dimensions that make up the whole person. Like the eight petalled flower there are eight areas that influence our ability to function at a healthy level:1. Physical Wellness — a lack of illness and/or disability and the role you take in maintaining your body for strength, vitality and energy.
2. Emotional Wellness — an ability to cope and manage stress and being at peace with who you are.
3. Intellectual Wellness — the ability to think, reason and remember and staying open to new ideas.
4. Social Wellness — the ability to connect with a support system of family and friends or the wider community.
5. Occupational Wellness — the ability to contribute, use skills/abilities.
6. Spiritual Wellness — understanding of your place and purpose, having a sense of purpose and meaning beyond self.
7. Environmental Wellness — feeling safe at home and around your area and the impact you have on the planet and the planet has on you.
8. Financial Wellness — having sufficient money to meet basic needs.
Humans are made up of a body, a mind and a soul. When one area of our life is out of balance the other areas are affected. In our society great emphasis is placed on the physical or emotional but often the spiritual is neglected.
So I am off to think about each of these eight areas, to see if I have a balance in all the aspects of wellness? I think it will help me decide where things are going well in my life and where they need improvement?
Besides physical wellness, which is an area anyone would probably like to improve, where else would you like to see change in your life?
FURTHER READING: Why Do We Get Sick? Why Do We Get Better? A Wellness Detective Manual